musings of a restless spirit

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Of Windmills and Wooden Shoes


Last weekend, Matthew and I visited his hometown of Pella, the second most fun ethnic, touristy community in Iowa (sorry, but I think I'll forever be biased towards Amana!). I've visited Pella with Matt several times in the last eight months, but last weekend was the first time we were there with decent weather. Thus, we decided to see some of the sites:

Our first stop was the Vermeer Windmill, the tallest windmill in the United States.
We then toured the Historical Village.

And then we went to Lake Red Rock, where we climbed the observation tower, took the trail out to the cliffs, and even spotted a fawn.




We also enjoyed time with Matthew's family, including his newest niece, Rachel Johanna, who was born to Dave and Kristine a couple of weeks ago. He now has five nieces!

It was a fun weekend... and now I'm off on another adventure- I'm headed to Seattle tomorrow for a conference for work.

As the Dutch would say, "vaarwel"! (I actually don't know if that's how the Pella Dutch would say it- I googled "goodbye in Dutch" and it came up with several different options). So, maybe I should stay on the safe side, and stick to my German: Aufwiedersehen!

3 Comments:

Blogger Nicholas Mackey said...

what a cute blog entry! I need to go to red rock sometime! - Stacy

4:30 PM

 
Blogger Christina said...

Love it! You two are too cute!

Thanks for sharing, darling.

9:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last picture of the two of you is absolutely adorable! I love it! You should put it in a frame. I hope everything is going well with Matthew's home renovations. We're planning on camping at Lake Red Rock the weekend of August 8th. Does he recommend a certain campground? Right now we're thinking North Overlook since we'll be in tents. -Wendy

12:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home