musings of a restless spirit

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Live Under Lights and Wires

I had a rough week. I messed up on things at work and at home and was just really letting that sinister voice of "you're foolish" and "you're ridiculous" get the better of me. I let the voice assault my spirit instead of standing in the truth that I am His, that I can do all things through Him, that I am a priest and a prince[ss] in the Kingdom of God (to quote "Fool with a Fancy Guitar" by Andrew Peterson).

And even though I'd prayed, and even though I tried to choose to think about whatever is lovely, my defeated and self-deprecating attitude lasted on through to Friday. I was grumpy and emotional and let every little thing discourage me far more than I should've. The result of a week of feeling foolish. But somewhere in the mid-afternoon of yesterday I started to break free from it. I don't know why, other than by the grace of God. And then yesterday evening I got to have dinner with two of the dearest friends I've ever known, and from there the blessings just kept overcoming the frustration, the fear, and the failure.

After dinner and hugs with Beth, Charlotte and I headed down to the Millard area for the rest of our "date": a Sandra McCracken and Derek Webb concert. This wasn't any ordinary concert - it was at someone's house!

The concert was definitely the most intimate musical experience I've ever had. There were 70 some of us there in this house in a suburban subdivision. The hosts provided popcorn, M & Ms and lemonade and after 20 minutes or so of mingling, we were ushered to the basement for the show. There wasn't a bad seat in the house as we listened to Sandra and Derek play their tunes.

It was also the most interactive show I've ever been to- they took requests most of the night, with audience members sharing stories of how their songs had impacted them, and then Sandra and Derek in turn telling their stories behind the songs, and what God has done and is doing in them. The guy sitting right in front of me requested my favorite Sandra song, "10,000 Angels (Love Has Come)". This was the song that Greta sang at our wedding, with Matt's brother Ben on guitar. It was a really special song to hear live, even if Matthew wasn't there. She also performed "Shelter", which is another favorite of mine.





After the show, we all went back upstairs for more mingling, this time with Sandra and Derek - I feel like I'm on a first-name basis with them now! :-) Charlotte and I talked with Sandra for a few minutes in the kitchen. I told her about how special "Love Has Come" is to me, and she asked Charlotte and I about how we knew each other and how we liked living in Omaha (Derek's family is from Lincoln), and thanked us for coming. It was the least awkward interaction with one of "my" musical artists I've had. :-)

All in all, it was an affirming night of stories and song and most of all truth. I drove home listening to Sandra's first hymns album feeling refreshed and renewed in the reminder of the grace and goodness of God.

*this post's title is borrowed from the title of Sandra McCracken's live album...

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow! You got to see them at someone's house? What did you have to do to get invited? I am sorry that you had such a rough week. You are not foolish and silly, you are wonderful and smart! I am jealous of your friend date with Charlotte and Beth. Happy for you that you have such lovely women around you!

10:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home