musings of a restless spirit

Saturday, March 10, 2007

I think I'll go to Boston...

This weekend is the Mount Mercy spring play, and, according to Kathi Pudzuvelis, Natalie's performance is "brilliant".

I'm sad to be missing it, but not as much as I thought I'd be. Last year, the weekend of her play, I was so homesick that it was the most depressed I've ever been. I remember that, during the week of the show, I spent my days fighting back tears. There were other reasons for this, but the biggest was this gnawing feeling of wanting to go home, to BE home for good, and not being able to go. I was miserable. I got over it, but I still remember that as the worst I've felt since living here, second to how I felt after Oma died.

Thursday afternoon, I felt similar feelings brewing at the end of my work day. I was still toying with idea of trying to make a super quick trip home, but knew it probably wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. But still, I hadn't decided, and I did NOT want to go home to an empty apartment and eat alone. It would have made me sad, knowing all of my family was at the show. So I worked late. I had a lot to do, so I stayed until 5:30. And I totally know that God was behind that move because, once I was driving west, Charlotte called and was running an impromptu errand in my neck of the woods, so we had dinner. I then did some shopping, and I didn't even think of the play, really, the whole night!

In theory, I could have left worked yesterday at 3:00 and made it to the McAuley Theater by 7:00. I could have seen the show, seen a few friends, and made it home by this evening, at which point I'd be up late packing, be tired... and be worn out before my coming trip even began. Yeah. I decided not to do that.

God provides. Work was so crazy yesterday that there's no way I would've been able to leave early. And I was so much less stressed with such an open Friday night ahead of me. And this morning, I actually had breakfast with Emily Evers, which was another pleasant surprise for the weekend. She is in town with her boyfriend visiting one of his friends. So, just when I'm missing Mount Mercy, a piece of it unexpectedly shows up in my day.

So now I'm packing, but not frantically. I have time to spare, and I'm at peace with that. I'm heading to DC tomorrow morning for work, and then on Wednesday I'm taking the train up to Boston to see Bill Huff.

I better get back to my suitcase...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home