musings of a restless spirit

Monday, January 08, 2007

It's a Small, Mount Mercy World

A couple of months ago, the new president of Mount Mercy came to Omaha for a conference and the alumni office invited, well, alumni in the city to come meet him. I figured, why not? There was free food and drink, it was fun to meet other Mount Mercy grads in Omaha, and it was a good opportunity to talk up the English and Drama departments to the new guy. At this reception, I saw Valorie Dubovsky (who now has a different last name because she got married), and I talked at length with a girl who works for Hy-Vee, sometimes at the one I regularly shop at.

Fast forward to today. When leaving work, I took my purse out of my cabinet and spotted the Mount Mercy folder I got the day of the reception. I distinctly thought, "I should email Valorie sometime." I then went to Hy-Vee to pick up some fruit and milk. I walked by a lady giving away angel food cake samples. "She looks familiar," I thought.

I got up to the cash register and, lo and behold, two aisles to my left, there was Valorie. Seeing her triggered how I knew the angel food cake lady. So I talked briefly with Valorie, then with Julie, the Hy-Vee lady, who signed me up for the store's monthly wine club.

So within about a minute I happened to bump into two other Mount Mercy grads at the Hy-Vee on 96th and Q here in Omaha. I know it's the midwest and all, but it's still a small world. (Pardon the cliche.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

10:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home