musings of a restless spirit

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Live from Bean Town

Greetings from Bill Huff's apartment, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts!

This place is huge. Imagine an apartment longer than an Andreas House suite, for only one person, and you're imagining this place. The walk from the living room to Bill's room at the end of the hall practically requires running shoes.


He has a big bedroom and TWO extra rooms- one is the guest room, where I'm staying, and the other is Bill's sewing room. Only Bill Huff would have a sewing room!


I'm just hanging out today a bit while Bill's at some meetings. I had lunch today in the Residence Life office with some of Bill's work friends, who were eager for me to dish out some dirt on Bill. The problem is that he isn't easily embarrassed. I can't think of stories that he wouldn't willingly share himself, but if any of you have ideas, feel free to post a comment here!

I got in last night around 5:00. I took the Amtrak from DC, where I was for Arts Advocacy Days since Sunday. The train was a fun new experience. I was in eight states yesterday, not counting DC. Eight! Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts. I saw the skylines of Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York (!), and Providence, right out of my window, not to mention countless quaint little New England towns.

After Bill gave me the grand tour of his veritable mansion-dorm-house, we took the T into Boston. To start with, we walked around Boston Common. We saw the tableau of ice skaters on the frog pond, posed on the steps of the Massachusetts State House, and stood on the Freedom Trail. We had dinner at Cheers (despite the theme song, no one other than Bill knew my name) and then went to Little Italy to choose from the plethora of pastries at Mike's Pastries. We settled on a cannoli and a Black White cookie. Good stuff, let me tell you...


I now have a special message for you loyal blog readers from Bill Huff himself:

Nicole is lucky. I mean, I do not open these hallowed doors to many individuals and she is the first to Christen my guest room with her glorious presence. Not that I am bitter or anything that none of my friends from my many worlds including the Mount or even my family have come to visit. I am excited to have Ms. Palof out here where the Boston accents are as thick as the rush hour traffic. Tonight's plan is to attend a farewell dinner for one of my colleagues and either catch an event on campus or perhaps see some theater. Tomorrow is more theater, some museums, and some general hullabaloo (I really wanted to use hullabaloo in this blog). I need to go back to work now and meet with some students, you know making an impact on their crappy lives and all. Ms. Palof informs me she is going to include some pictures of our first night of revelry. Enjoy my friends!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home